Here are some steps that will help resolve the most common problems with Chromecast. These tips also apply to casting to Sony Android TV’s (2015 and later Android TV models) and TCL TVs that run Android TV. If you are trying to cast to a Samsung TV, LG TV, Vizio TV, or use Apple AirPlay, then please check the articles in this section for those devices.
Apple Mobile devices with iOS 14 or later, need to give local network access for the MotorTrend app so it can connect to the TV. Go to your device’s settings, scroll down to the MotorTrend app, and under “Allow MotorTrend to Access” make sure that the slider for Local Network access is enabled.
Setting up Chromecast for the first time? Google has an article to help walk you through the process.
Already have Chromecast setup but the casting icon is missing in the mobile app? Please close and restart the MotorTrend app after you make any changes so it can recheck for a device to cast to. Here are some things to try:
- Make sure your Chromecast is turned on before you start the MotorTrend mobile app.
- Please make sure that your mobile device and MotorTrend app have been updated to the latest version as a first step.
- Check to make sure that there are no other apps running in the background that could be interfering with casting from the MotorTrend app.
- It is recommended that your Chromecast device be powered with its own power supply and not the USB input of your TV or the HDMI port itself.
- Your mobile device, Chromecast device, and WiFi router should ideally be within ~15 feet of each other.
- Most newer WiFi routers can have multiple networks at the same time. Commonly they will indicate if they are 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz. If you have multiple networks it is possible for your mobile device to be on the same router but a different network and the traffic between those frequencies and wired ethernet may be filtered. Compare the network on your mobile device to the Chromecast (on the Chromecast home screen it will be in the lower left of the screen). Either update the network your mobile device is connected to or you can update the Chromecast with these directions.
- On Android mobile apps, try clearing the MotorTrend app's cache and data. Exit the MotorTrend app and make sure it is cleared from the background. Go to Settings --> Apps --> MotorTrend app. Then press "Force Stop" and go to Storage. Press the "Clear Cache" button and then "Clear Data". Restart the MotorTrend app and relogin.
- Try power cycling the WiFi router and Chromecast. Turn off the mobile device. Then unplug the power to your WiFi router (this may also be your internet modem or gateway) and Chromecast. Keep everything off for 60 seconds. Then turn on the WiFi router and give it a couple of minutes to come back up. Turn on the Chromecast, and then turn on the mobile device.
- Try reinstalling the mobile app. Uninstall the app, reinstall the app, and re-login. On Android devices, if you want to be very thorough, do the above process for clearing the app data & cache prior to uninstalling the app.
- You may need to conduct a Chromecast Factory Data Reset and then re-setup your Chromecast.
Google also has a lot of general support articles for Chromecast on their support site.
If you experienced a “random disconnect” from the casting session, this is most likely due to a temporary drop in the Wi-Fi connection or WiFi network instability. Restarting the app and casting session should get you back in action, but if you are unable to connect to your Chromecast or see “No Devices Found”, then here are some things you can try.
- Please make sure that your mobile app or Chrome desktop web browser is updated to the latest version.
- While it is possible to connect when your Chromecast and mobile device are on separate Wi-Fi frequencies or one may be connected to a wired ethernet connection, we have heard that some customer’s Wi-Fi router may filter or block some traffic from passing from one to another.
- You may need to try turning your mobile device’s Wi-Fi off and back on.
- Try power cycling the Chromecast device by unplugging the power from it for 60 seconds and then plug it back in.
- Try force closing the MotorTrend app and relaunch it to have it recheck for casting target devices.
If it still isn’t working for you, then we need to collect some information to investigate this further. We will need to know your device’s model, OS version, app version, what are you trying to cast to, and your public-facing IP address. One option to get your public IP is to go to https://www.whatsmyip.org/. You can share that with us through the Submit a request link or email us at email@example.com.