Here are some steps that will help resolve the most common problems with casting to a Samsung TV (Samsung* Tizen TV 2017+, 2015-16 in development). If you are trying to cast to a Google Chromecast, LG TV, Vizio TV, or use Apple AirPlay, then please check the articles in this section for those devices.
Casting a live event? For the best results when casting a live event from your mobile app, we recommend starting the cast, then selecting the live stream.
Apple Mobile devices with iOS 14 or later, need to give local network access for the MotorTrend app so it can connect to the TV. Go to your device’s settings, scroll down to the MotorTrend app, and under “Allow MotorTrend to Access” make sure that the slider for Local Network access is enabled.
Did the Samsung TV lite app install not complete? Some Samsung Tizen TVs may have an issue with installing the app on the TV when prompted by the mobile app and the install will fail or timeout. If you’ve retried having the app install from your mobile, then in these cases it is better to check the app store on the TV for MotorTrend and install the lite app from there. We are working with Samsung to make sure the compatible devices list is updated as new devices are certified and the lite app does work on more devices than are listed on their site.
Double-check the Samsung Device Connection Manager Samsung TVs have a connection manager, and it is possible that it may have been set to block all connections or your mobile device. To get to the Device Manager, press the home button on your TV remote and navigate to Settings --> General --> External Device Manager --> Device Connect Manager and make sure “Anynet+” is enabled and then go to Device List to see if you may have blocked your mobile device and you can use the “Edit” option to remove items from the list.
Already have your Samsung TV set up for casting but the casting icon is missing in the mobile app? Please close and restart the MotorTrend app after you make any changes so it can recheck for a device to cast to. Here are some things to try:
- Make sure your Samsung TV is turned on before you start the MotorTrend mobile app.
- Please make sure that your mobile device and MotorTrend app have been updated to the latest version as a first step.
- Check to make sure that there are no other apps running in the background that could be interfering with casting from the MotorTrend app.
- If the lite app is currently open and running on your Samsung TV, try to close it first by pressing the exit button on the TV’s remote control
- Your mobile device, Samsung TV, and WiFi router should ideally be within ~15 feet of each other.
- Most newer WiFi routers can have multiple networks at the same time. Commonly they will indicate if they are 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz. If you have multiple networks it is possible for your mobile device to be on the same router but a different network and the traffic between those frequencies and wired ethernet may be filtered. Compare the network on your mobile device to the TV.
- On Android mobile apps, try clearing the MotorTrend app's cache and data. Exit the MotorTrend app and make sure it is cleared from the background. Go to Settings --> Apps --> MotorTrend app. Then press "Force Stop" and go to Storage. Press the "Clear Cache" button and then "Clear Data". Restart the MotorTrend app and relogin.
- Try power cycling the WiFi router and TV. Turn off the mobile device. Then unplug the power to your WiFi router (this may also be your internet modem or gateway) and TV. You can either unplug the power from the TV or hold the TV’s remote control power button and it should restart the TV. Keep everything off for 60 seconds. Then turn on the WiFi router and give it a couple of minutes to come back up. Turn on the TV, and then turn on the mobile device.
- Try reinstalling the mobile app. Uninstall the app, reinstall the app, and re-login. On Android devices, if you want to be very thorough, do the above process for clearing the app data & cache prior to uninstalling the app.
If you experienced a “random disconnect” from the casting session, this is most likely due to a temporary drop in the Wi-Fi connection or WiFi network instability. Restarting the app and casting session should get you back in action, but if you are unable to connect to your TV or see “No Devices Found”, then here are some things you can try.
- Please make sure that your mobile app is updated to the latest version.
- While it is possible to connect when your TV and mobile device are on separate Wi-Fi frequencies or one may be connected to a wired ethernet connection, we have heard that some customer’s Wi-Fi routers may filter or block some traffic from passing from one to another.
- You may need to try turning your mobile device’s Wi-Fi off and back on.
- Try power cycling the TV by unplugging the power from it for 60 seconds and then plug it back in.
- Try force closing the MotorTrend app and relaunch it to have it recheck for casting target devices.
If it still isn’t working for you, then we need to collect some information to investigate this further. We will need to know your device’s model, OS version, app version, what are you trying to cast to, and your public-facing IP address. One option to get your public IP is to go to https://www.whatsmyip.org/. You can share that with us through the Submit a request link or email us at email@example.com.