MotorTrend's Xbox app lets you use your phone to cast your MotorTrend favorites on your big screen!
Casting a live event? For the best results when casting a live event from your mobile app, we recommend starting the cast, then selecting the live stream.
Apple Mobile devices with iOS 14 or later, need to give local network access for the MotorTrend app so it can connect to the TV. Go to your device’s settings, scroll down to the MotorTrend app, and under “Allow MotorTrend to Access” make sure that the slider for Local Network access is enabled.
Already have your Xbox app set up for casting but the casting icon is missing in the mobile app? Please close and restart the MotorTrend app after you make any changes so it can recheck for a device to cast to. Here are some things to try:
- Make sure your Xbox MotorTrend+ is turned on before you start the MotorTrend mobile app.
- Please make sure that your mobile device and MotorTrend+ apps have been updated to the latest version as a first step.
- Check to make sure that there are no other apps running in the background that could be interfering with casting from the MotorTrend app.
- If the MotorTrend+ Xbox app is currently open and running on your Xbox, try to close it first, then restart the Xbox app, then your mobile app.
- Your mobile device, Xbox device, and WiFi router should ideally be within ~15 feet of each other.
- Most newer WiFi routers can have multiple networks at the same time. Commonly they will indicate if they are 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz. If you have multiple networks it is possible for your mobile device to be on the same router but a different network and the traffic between those frequencies and wired ethernet may be filtered. Compare the network on your mobile device to the Xbox connection settings.
- On Android mobile apps, try clearing the MotorTrend app's cache and data. Exit the MotorTrend app and make sure it is cleared from the background. Go to Settings --> Apps --> MotorTrend app. Then press "Force Stop" and go to Storage. Press the "Clear Cache" button and then "Clear Data". Restart the MotorTrend app and relogin.
- Try power cycling the WiFi router and Xbox. Turn off the mobile device. Then unplug the power to your WiFi router (this may also be your internet modem or gateway) and Xbox. You can either unplug the power from the Xbox or hold the Xbox’s remote control power button and it should power on/off and restart the Xbox. Keep everything off for 60 seconds. Then turn on the WiFi router and give it a couple of minutes to come back up. Turn on the TV, Xbox, and then turn on the mobile device.
- Try reinstalling the mobile app. Uninstall the app, reinstall the app, and re-login. On Android devices, if you want to be very thorough, do the above process for clearing the app data & cache prior to uninstalling the app.
If you experienced a “random disconnect” from the casting session, this is most likely due to a temporary drop in the Wi-Fi connection or WiFi network instability. Restarting the app and casting session should get you back in action, but if you are unable to connect to your Xbox or see “No Devices Found”, then here are some things you can try.
- Please make sure that your mobile app is updated to the latest version.
- While it is possible to connect when your Xbox and mobile device are on separate Wi-Fi frequencies or one may be connected to a wired ethernet connection, we have heard that some customers’ Wi-Fi routers may filter or block some traffic from passing from one to another.
- You may need to try turning your mobile device’s Wi-Fi off and back on.
- Try power cycling the Xbox by unplugging the power from it for 60 seconds and then plug it back in.
- Try force closing the MotorTrend app and relaunch it to have it recheck for casting target devices.
Does the app see the Xbox but can't connect to it? You may have a VPN or ad/domain blocking set up which can prevent the connection from completing. If those don't sound familiar, then it probably isn't the issue.
If it still isn’t working for you, then we need to collect some information to investigate this further. We will need to know your device’s model, OS version, app version, what are you trying to cast to, and your public-facing IP address. One option to get your public IP is to go to https://www.whatsmyip.org/. You can share that with us through the Submit a request link or email us at email@example.com.